When your child’s first baby tooth erupts around three to seven months old, a dentist in Airdrie may recommend that you bring them to their first visit with a pediatric dentist. Children need to visit the dentist as early as a few months old to alleviate dental anxiety and monitor tooth growth as they grow older. Pediatric dentistry is a specialized area surrounding kids from 6 months to 18 years old, including babies, children, and teenagers. Having dental anxiety is common among children and adults, which is why it’s important to establish an Airdrie dental home from a young age. That way, as your child grows up, they have a cozy relationship with their dentist in Airdrie and set the habit of regularly visiting the dentist and establishing good oral hygiene routines.
What is the importance of pediatric dentistry?
Having your child exposed to a dental setting at a young age can help them build better connections with dental professionals. Since dentists commonly have a poor reputation against people who have dental anxiety. Apart from the early exposure to an Airdrie dentist, pediatric dentistry can help you and your child with proper guidance towards healthy oral health. Pediatric dentists offer:
- Pediatric dentists offer preventive measures such as fluorides and sealants to make your child’s teeth more resistant to bacteria and tooth decay. Sealants are known to be effective in lessening tooth decay, and it lasts up to years.
- Pediatric dentists offer proper guidance towards children to have good oral health and teach them how to maintain it.
- Pediatric dentists offer optimized oral health plans for any dental problem that will help a child as their teeth develop.
- Pediatric dentists offer comfortable dental visits for children, so they can check and administer appropriate treatments and procedures.
- Pediatric dentists offer advice on good habits to set for children so their oral health stays in optimal condition.
It’s essential to build a dental home for children because their baby teeth are the blueprint for a sturdy foundation for their permanent or adult teeth.
What are common poor dental habits in children?
- Excessive eating of candies and chocolates
- Thumb sucking
- Skipping dental routines such as brushing the teeth
- Biting hard materials such (i.e. ice, pencils)
Pediatric dentistry includes children from the age of 6 months old (or when their first baby tooth erupts) to teenagers 18 years old. It’s important to have your child visit the dentist as early as possible, as people in their late teens may have their permanent teeth fully grown-in. Meaning an Airdrie dentist can’t put preventative measures in place to stop dental problems from arising.
Let your child experience dental appointments as early as possible to give them the optimal dental care that they need. If you are looking for a safe and reliable clinic that offers Children’s dentistry, visit Sierra Springs Dental, an Airdrie dentist committed to serving you with quality dental care. Call us today at 403-945-4555 to book an appointment!